UCS 3.2 Development
From Univention Wiki
This page describes the current development status of UCS 3.2 and provides an excerpt of the upcoming changes.
Upcoming changes (excerpt)
UCS 3.2 is planned to be delivered with the following highlights:
- Revise the UCS and the management system overview sites: The pages are cleaned and will be revised completely to match modern and common designs. Affected is the UCS overview page that can be reached directly pointing the webbrowser to the server and the overview page of the management system that is shown directly after login.
- Revise the software monitor module and adjust it to the modern design.
- Single Sign-On and crosslinks to the UCS management system of other UCS systems. Once logged in to the UCS management system, an administrator can walk over to another UCS system without re-login due to Single Sign-On.
- Support for SAML: through an App in Univention App Center. The app will provide a SAML identity provider and it will be possible to define what users are available for which service provider. This allows, e.g., the authentication to Google Apps for Business with the UCS domain credentials.
- Provide UCS system components as Apps in the App Center. Those components are for example AD Connector, the Active directory compatible domain controller provided by Samba, the management server for a virtualization environment and the virtualization servers XEN and KVM, etc.
- Synchronize directory service schema to domain controllers: Until UCS 3.1 directory schema extensions have to be installed to the domain controller master. This highlight enables UCS to add schema extensions on domaincontroller backups and slaves through join scripts.
- Show more information messages to users of the App Center: With UCS 3.1 there are not many possibilities to display information about apps upon installation or update. With UCS 3.2 it will be possible to display vendor information to the administrator upon installation and update of apps.
- Support of VLAN, Bonding and Bridges: They can be configured via Univention Configuration Registry since UCS 3.1. Now this configuration can be done via a separate extension in the UCS management system.
- Support for NFSv4 and Kerberos for file shares in the UCS management system and make it the default option for file shares. This will increase the security for file shares in a UCS environment.
- Update of the VirtIO and GPLPV drivers. The drivers are needed for the virtualization of Microsoft Windows in KVM and XEN environments.
- Update Apps to UCS 3.2
- Update of core components, e.g.:
- New Linux Kernel 3.10
- Update of OpenLDAP to version 2.4.35
- Update of Samba 4 to version 4.1
- Update Debian Basis to Debian 6.0.8 point update
|Timeline||Description||Open tasks||QA tasks||All tasks|
|2013-08-26||UCS 3.2 Milestone 1||Open Tasks||QA Tasks|
|2013-09-30||UCS 3.2 Milestone 2|
|2013-11-04||UCS 3.2 Release Candidate|
|Q4 2013||UCS 3.2 Release|
Please note: Due to work in progress the update may fail or bugs may happen later on. The testing online repository is not ready for production use!
Pre releases of UCS 3.2 ISO images can be found here: http://testing.univention.de/download/UCS-3.2-RC1
http://testing.univention.de provides an online repository containing a current development snapshot of all currently available UCS 3.2 packages. To update an existing UCS 3.1-1 to UCS 3.2 perform the following steps
ucr set repository/online/server=testing.univention.de univention-upgrade
The source code of UCS 3.2 can be retrieved via WebSVN frontend or by checking out from public SVN repository:
svn checkout http://forge.univention.org/svn/dev/branches/ucs-3.2/ucs-3.2-0/