UCC 2.0 Development
From Univention Wiki
This article holds information about the upcoming UCC 2.0 release.
UCC 2.0 is delivered with the following highlights:
- Update the base to Kubuntu 14.04 LTS
- UCC benefits from the improvements made in Kubuntu and gains better hardware support for younger hardware devices, e.g. thin clients and notebooks.
- xrdp support
- xrdp is responsible for providing a UCC KDE Linux desktop over the remote desktop protocol (RDP). UCC provides its Linux desktop via terminal services to thin clients operated with UCC via RDP. The UCC terminal service can be accessed with a usual RDP client, e.g. in UCC or even the built-in client in Microsoft Windows or on a tablet computer. RDP greatly enhances performance, reaction time and multimedia capabilities of remote desktops while reducing bandwith requirements and latencies at the same time. RDP support is realized by a new version of xrdp, which has been funded by Univention. Because RDP is the standard Microsoft protocol for remote desktops, UCC based terminal services are much easier accessable by Windows clients and a wide range of mobile clients.
- Wizard for UCC rollout in the UCS management system
- The new wizard guides the administrator through the steps to rollout UCC on desktops or thin clients and thus simplifies the rollout process itself.
- Wizard for UCC image management in the UCS management system
- The new wizard helps the administrator to organize the UCC images for desktops and thin clients and keep the overview.
- UEFI support
- This allows the installation of UCC on systems which only support an UEFI boot.
- Boot variant for local boot
- Local boot is a new boot variant for UCC in the UCS management system. UCC systems configured for local boot start directly from their local storage. It decreases the necessary boot time, because no network boot requests are made from clients configured in such a way.
- Integration of apt sources via UCR variables
- The definition of additional apt repositories via Univention configuration registry variables simplifies the usage of other components like UCS@school without modifying the underlying UCC image.
- Simplified Citrix Receiver integration
- The Citrix Receiver client can be selected in the UCC rollout wizard and is thus easier to provision in a UCC environment.
- Fix several smaller bugs to improve UCC.
Download and Installation
Please refer to the UCC-Quickstart_2.0 Quickstart Guide for download and installation.
|2014-04-29||UCC 2.0 Milestone Release|
|2014-05-23||UCC 2.0 Release Candidate|
|2014-06-10||UCC 2.0 Final Release|