Maintenance Cycle for UCS
From Univention Wiki
This article describes the maintenance cycle for Univention Corporate Server. An overview about the Maintenance Cycles can be found in a separate article.
UCS maintenance cycle rules
The following basic rules for the UCS maintenance cycle apply. UCS product versions are divided into major and minor releases.
A major version focuses on fundamental extensions and interfaces may be changed. Example for a major version is UCS 4.
- UCS major versions are published ca. every 3-4 years.
- UCS major versions have a maintenance cycle of at least 5 years.
- The maintenance cycle of a UCS major version ends not before one year after the release of the following major version.
- Extended security maintenance is available for UCS major versions for additional 2 years. It provides security updates for grave security vulnerabilities in versions of Univention Corporate Server which are not maintained through regular product maintenance because mainstream support has ended.
During its maintenance cycle a major version receives several minor updates through minor versions that are comparable to the Service Packs of Microsoft Windows. Such a minor version focuses on the extension of the product and on bug fixes. Interfaces will only be extended in a compatible way or cleared up upon issues. UCS minor versions allow a simple and automatic update. Example for a minor version is UCS 3.2.
- UCS minor versions are published ca. every 12 months.
- UCS minor versions have a maintenance cycle of at least 1 year.
- The maintenance cycle of a UCS minor version ends 12 months after the release of the following version starting with UCS 4.1. The maintenance cycle of a UCS minor version for UCS versions until UCS 4.0 ends 6 months after the release of the following version.
Minor enhancements and fixes for small issues are continually provided by Errata Updates and collected in Patchlevel releases (e.g. UCS 4.0-1). They are public available through the Online-Update in Univention Corporate Server.
- The maintenance cycle of a patchlevel release ends 6 weeks after the release of the following patchlevel.
The maintenance cycle of the UCS Core Edition deviates from the above and always ends 6 months after the following release. An upgrade to the new version is available. For more information on UCS Core Edition and available subscriptions see the Univention website.
Maintenance cycle overview
The following table gives an overview about the currently maintained Univention Corporate Server (UCS) versions.
|Major version 4|
|UCS 4.2||scheduled for 4th quarter 2016|
|UCS 4.1||Nov 17, 2015||
|UCS 4.0||Nov 20, 2014||
|Major version 3|
|UCS 3.3||May 31, 2016||
|UCS 3.2||Nov 18, 2013||
|UCS 3.1||Dec 12, 2012||
|UCS 3.0||Dec 09, 2011||
|Major version 2|
|UCS 2.4||Aug 31, 2010||