From Univention Wiki
This article describes the highlights for the continuous development of Univention products. It provides detailed information on single products and the focused topics for UCS 3.
If you have any comments or ideas concerning the roadmap below, please let us know and provide feedback.
Univention Corporate Server 3
The following sections list the most important ideas for continuous development of UCS 3 that are considered to be included in the next minor versions of UCS 3.
The UCS installer is planned to be replaced by the Debian installer offering the following features:
- Graphical Installer
- Configuration of Software RAID from within the Installer
- Configuration of encrypted filesystems from within the Installer
The cloning of installations will be simplified. The further setup is done webbased via Univention Management Console and allows a local installation from DVD or a remote Cloud setup.
UCS management system
- The usability of the UCS management system will be continuously improved by, simplifying default processes, for example.
- Mobile devices
- The UCS management system will be developed further to improve the usage with mobile devices of the platforms Apple iOS and Android. Furthermore, the performance of the management system with low bandwith will be improved.
- Radius Integration
- The connection of mobile devices to the IT infrastructure with UCS will be simplified by the integration of radius into the UCS management system.
- Configuration of mobile devices
- Mobile devices can be configured with ActiveSync. Common configurations and workflows shall be integrated into the management system.
- Enable the user to simply send feedback about the UCS management system.
- Standardized Interface
- Standardized interfaces are planned for the UCS management system to allow actions, like for example adding new users or start virtual machines from external software application. The discussion covers REST (Representational State Transfer) and SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol).
- Identity and Access Management (IAM) and Single Sign-On (SSO)
- For better interaction with other systems, the integration of different authentication and authorization protocols like SAML, OpenSSO and OAuth are considered.
Active Directory functionality with Samba
- Continuous Updates
- Samba 4 will be continually updated and tested in UCS.
- Hybrid environment with Microsoft Active Directory Domain Controller
- The operation of UCS 3 as AD domain controller in hybrid environments with Microsoft Active Directory is technically possible with UCS 3.0, but it is not supported. There are boundary conditions that need to be led to full product maturity.
- Trusts between Samba 4 and Microsoft Active Directory are not yet fully developed in the Samba 4 implementation of UCS 3.0. Therefore, they are deactivated and currently not supported. A complete implementation of trusts in Samba 4 is planned and will be included in UCS as well.
Directory service (OpenLDAP)
- Multi-master replication
- Traditionally, changes to the directory service are only written on the domain controller (DC) master that only exists once in an environment. Multi-master replication allows multiple DC masters in one environment. The implementation of a multi-master replication, for example, takes care of the conflict handling of the replicated data.
- Selective replication
- The selective replication of the UCS directory service on the basis of OpenLDAP will be extended by the integration of Samba 4. Using selective replication only a selection of directory service data will be replicated to another system with directory service.
- Management of distributed environments
- The management of directory services in distributed environments will be extended further.
- More information
- The virtualization management with UCS Virtual Machine Manager (UVMM) in UCS will be extended further to store (e.g. notes) and display (e.g. history) more information of a virtual machine. Extensive information on the virtualization hosts, like kernel and CPU, also belong to it.
- Management of EC2 compatible environments
- UVMM will be extended to allow the management of virtual machines through the EC2 interface in other environments.
- A documentation how to add storage and high availability to UVMM.
- UVMM will be extended to import and export virtual instances in the OVF format.
- Development documentation
- The new documentation area will also extend the development documentation. An extensive API documentation will be, for example, available in there.