Certification Certified for Univention Corporate Server
From Univention Wiki
For independent software vendors (ISVs) Univention Corporate Server (UCS) is the ideal platform for operation and integration in an extensive LDAP centric infrastructure, identity and virtualization management. The solution is directly available with Univention App Center for numerous users. This article describes possibilities and processes to certify the own solution for UCS and become Univention software partner. Certified solutions for Univention Corporate Server can be found on the Univention website.
Independent software vendors certify their solution for UCS and become Univention software partner by completing the Univention logo program "Certified for Univention Corporate Server". The material can be request by contacting us on our website.
To certify a solution for Univention Corporate Server the following steps have to be followed:
- Download and install Univention Corporate Server
- Certify the solution
- Sign the Univention logo program "Certified for Univention Corporate Server" and send it via mail
Depending on the kind of product and the goal the certification itself may have the following variation:
- Installation: The product can be installed on UCS and it can be operated on UCS as operation platform.
- Integration: The product offers the customer an added value through the integration in the UCS management system. An installation on UCS is not necessary or possible, because the product for example is a hardware appliance.
- Installation + Integration: The product can be installed and operated on UCS. An integration in the UCS management systems offers the customer an added value.
The certification is a requirement for Univention App Center. For App Center at least the variation Installation (incl. packaging) is necessary. The user benefits from an easy and uniform installation of certified solutions.
After completing the certification the software partner is entitled to use the logo "Certified for Univention Corporate Server". The integration into UCS can be achieved through three levels.
- Install the software solution on UCS
- Package the software solution for UCS
- Integrate the software solution with UCS
Depending on the level of integration the software partner wants to achieve the above mentioned steps should be completed. The biggest benefit for ISVs and users can be achieved by providing the solution (through packages) over Univention App Center.
There are software partners, for example, whose product is a hardware appliance comprising a software solution. The appliance is configured for a connection to the LDAP directory in UCS by the integration that allows to use the centrally managed data. In this example the first two steps are skipped and the integration is made directly.
With the installation the ISV checks that the solution can be used with UCS or built-upon products and ensures that the use of this combination is supported. Download, installation and configuration are documented in a tutorial.
The first steps with UCS as well as download and installation is described in UCS Quickstart Guide.
To simplifiy the installation of the software solution using the package management in UCS the solution needs to be packaged for UCS. UCS uses the Debian package format. The software solution needs to be packaged for a non-interactive installation to enable automatic and webbased software management.
As soon as the software is packaged and complies to the requirements for Univention App Center it is only a small step to this distribution channel.
Integration in UCS is very diverse and depending on the purpose there are different possibilities. Following are some examples:
- User authentication through OpenLDAP in UCS
- Integration of the configuration for the solution into the UCS management system
- Synchronisation of LDAP directory data, e.g. user account information, into the solution's database using the Listener-/Notifier mechanism.
- Integration into the email stack (Postfix, Cyrus, etc.) of UCS, see the integration of Kolab, Open-Xchange and Zarafa.
- Integration into the Univention Configuration Registry mechanism and configuration templates (see Manual UCS 3.0).
Additional information is provided by the development documentation.
The first source of help for UCS is the manual. Help on UCS is offered in the Univention forum and useful information can be found in the Univention support and knowledge base (SDB). Errors in the documentation or programs can be reported directly in Univention Bugzilla.
Paketierung und Bereitstellen in einem Repository: